Concern about dmd memory usage on win32

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Dec 10 12:10:23 PST 2012

On Monday, December 10, 2012 13:34:19 monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Friday, 7 December 2012 at 18:44:08 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > On Friday, December 07, 2012 18:18:43 monarch_dodra wrote:
> >> I had actually been through this before, and someone told me
> >> about that. The problem at this point is that this isn't even
> >> an
> >> option anymore, since std/algorithm.d is in a group *alone*.
> >
> > Then I'd have two suggestions then:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> I just tried to version each unittest (for win32) into two
> different objects (using version blocks). This worked relatively
> well, up until the final link step, where I was greeted with:
[snip]

Different versions of the same module have to be done in separate builds. They
couldn't all be in the same build. The Windows build is one executable, and
it's been rejected to change that (for some good reasons - though it does
cause problems here), so versioning the tests means that some of them won't be
run as part of the normal unittest build. They'll have to be run manually or
will only be run on other OSes which can handle the memory consumption. For
quite a while, a lot of std.datetime's unit tests were just outright disabled
on Windows, because the Windows version of dmd couldn't handle it. It's
sounding like we're going to have to do the same with some of std.algorithm's
unit tests until dmd's issues can be sorted out.

- Jonathan M Davis