dlang.org Library Reference

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Dec 11 12:09:49 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 04:54:43PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:57:43 -0800
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
[...]
> > Heh. I used to browse with no JS. But due to the annoying bandwagon
> > jumping trend that is a common pathology in people involved with
> > computers,
>
> Very well-put :) I've long been convinced that most people in
> computers should be exiled from the industry and sent to the fashion
> industry instead, because clearly that's where they truly belong. Too
> damn many fashion-folk in computing these days.
>
> > more and more websites are starting to depend on JS and are mostly
> > (or completely) dysfunctional without JS. So I grudgingly turned it
> > back on.
> >

> Usually if something doesn't work without JS, or on FF2, then I decide
> that it isn't worth my attention anyway (and it usually isn't) and I
> leave. In the rare cases when I do unfortunately need to use the site
> (ex: BitBucket and GitHub), then I suffer through Opera 10 (the last
> version of Opera, and indeed the last major web browser period, to
> support a vaguely-native skin).
[...]

I don't have a problem with websites that use JS *when it's needed*, and
*to the extent it's needed*. The problem is, many sites use JS
needlessly.  And sites that do need JS use it *relentlessly*, beyond
necessity. Just because they need JS for *some* particular feature, they
decide to go all-out and use JS for *everything*, making things that
don't technically need JS, not work without it. Worse, some use JS
maliciously, like to repeatedly load an ad-related link in the
background to spam their click through count (or whatever it is these
days that people are obsessed with). Or soak up memory like water for no
apparent purpose, just because they can.

definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian W. Kernighan