Learning Haskell makes you a better programmer?

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Tue Dec 25 12:50:34 PST 2012

On Tuesday, 25 December 2012 at 20:29:54 UTC, so wrote:

> I am reading the book "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence
> Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp", and i have to say it
> was somewhat a shocking experience. The fact that in a popular
> book about the highest level language which includes chapters
> for writing interpreters, compilers, yet i haven't met a c/c++
> book including such things, it is said these languages are one
> of the low level languages. I know it is much easier to write
> those for lisp than C, yet try to understand my point.

SICP also leads the student from the very basics all the way to
the writing of a Scheme interpreter and a compiler in Scheme.
That would probably not be possible in a reasonable number of
pages for a language with a more complex syntax. Anyway, that
doesn't mean that it's not possible, it's just take a whole lot
more effort to do the same in C++ or in D.

As for being a better programmer after having used some advanced
concepts, I don't know. I think every feature of a language must
be used where appropriate. I've seen some Python code using
heavily map/filter/etc that was simply unreadable to me. In some
places, I find  it easier to understand for loops, while in other
cases, using functional style programming conveys the intent
better. But maybe that's just me.