Learning Haskell makes you a better programmer?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Dec 26 06:48:57 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-26 at 01:45 +0100, so wrote:
[…]
> IMO, learning programming language X doesn't make you a better
> programmer. Learning X make you better X programmer. But if your
> existing environment/language is extremely flexible, takes code
> generation *very* seriously, you have a case. You gain something
> from learning a new feature or a paradigm. That is why lisp
> fascinates me, as i believe code generation is one of the most
> important (if not the most important) thing in a PL.

The experimental evidence from psychology of programming research is
exactly that the more distinct computational models that a programmer is
able to use reasonably well then the better programmer the person is in
any specific programming language.

Groovy has abstract syntax transforms, Scala has followed Lisp and
introduced macros – not to be confused with the C pre-processor things
of similar name.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk