std.bitmanip improvements

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Dec 27 02:19:18 PST 2012

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:38:35 Marco Nembrini wrote:
> Hi,
> I was looking into the BitArray part of std.bitmanip to implement
> various data compression routines like Huffmann, Lempel-Ziv etc..
> and noticed that it could use some improvements, like more
> convenient constructors and functions (for ex. see issue 4717 ).
> How would I go about submitting those changes? Should I put all
> the changes in one big pull request or split it up according to
> the different enhancement requests on Bugzilla?
> Also is anyone else working on this module or is there something
> in other parts of the library that I should be aware of?

I believe that there are a couple of threads from a few months ago in D.Learn
talking about improvements to BitArray, and some folks having been working on
that. I have no idea where that stands though.

In general, if you have incremental improvements for things, feel free to
create pull requests for them on github. Unrelated requests should be
separate. Please don't make huge pulls with lots of stuff in them. It makes
reviewing them harder, and it's more problematic when some of your changes are
acceptable and others aren't. If they're separate, they're much more easily
managed.

However, if you're talking about seriously revamping the module as a whole
rather than making a number of small improvements, then that may merit a full
review in the newsgroup, which is a different beast altogether.

- Jonathan M Davis