Learning Haskell makes you a better programmer?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Dec 28 04:53:22 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 12:59 +0100, bearophile wrote:
[…]
> In my very limited Clojure experience I've seen that it uses a
> LOT of memory even for my small programs, sometimes almost ten
> times more than equivalent Python programs (like 120 MB for a
> small program that processes small genomic text files). And I've
> seen to write fast Clojure programs I have to add a ton of
> annotations to the code. So I have not used it further.

I have yet to find any JVM that doesn't require >120MB to start, then
there is the Clojure system and your program, so that figure doesn't
surprise me.  In any C/C++/Fortran context Python is the dynamic
programming language if choice, but there is also Lua.

Clojure programs are not good for computational efficiency on the JVM,
so if that is what you are after Clojure is the wrong tool. Groovy,
Scala, Java, Kotlin, Ceylon form the choice set in that context.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk