Opinion of February 2012

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 09:14:41 PST 2012

On Saturday, 4 February 2012 at 16:52:04 UTC, Zachary Lund wrote:

> Arch Linux chose to remove the D1 package and add the D2
> package and not keep both simply because of the retarded name
> incompatibilities.

That just seems silly. The package builder can make the binary
name whatever they choose. And from the Linux side it makes even
less sense because it is extremely common. gcc, is it GCC 4.7,
3.2, 8.5, 967, clang? No, it is a symbolic link to whatever you
want.

This is what hive have DDebber[1] doing, though because of your
wrong. I was going to develop it further to package Tango and
allow v1 and 2 to install together, but such effort appears less
and less important.