Opinion of February 2012

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Feb 5 07:18:02 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 12:10:33AM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 4:28 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >I agree with this. Based on current documentation, I didn't even know
> >the GC can be replaced at compile-time until someone mentioned it.
> >And up to now I still don't know how exactly to do this, since I
> >couldn't find any docs for it.
>
> The documentation for that is in the source files for the GC, the GC
> is even in its own subdirectory, src/gc. It stands to reason that to
> replace the GC, that's where to look.
>
> Doing a replacement GC is pretty advanced work. If one is ready for
> that, it isn't unreasonable to expect one to peruse those files.  It's
> a bit beyond the scope of D to provide a tutorial on how to write a
> replacement GC, though you're welcome to do it and contribute it.

I was just referring to how to switch between different GCs at
compile-time. I'm sure somebody documented this somewhere, the point was
that there isn't a central place where someone unfamiliar with the
system can go to find the answers.

If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in frightful danger of seeing it for the first time. -- G. K. Chesterton