OT Adam D Ruppe's web stuff

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Feb 9 00:26:23 PST 2012

On 2012-02-08 15:51, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 February 2012 at 07:37:23 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Maybe Adam's code can be used as a base of implementing a library like
>> Rack in D.
>>
>> http://rack.rubyforge.org/
>
> That looks like it does the same job as cgi.d.
>
> cgi.d actually offers a uniform interface across various
> web servers and integration methods.
>
> If you always talk through the Cgi class, and use the GenericMain
> mixin, you can run the same program with:
>
> 1) cgi, tested on Apache and IIS (including implementations for methods
> that don't work on one or the other natively)
>
> 2) fast cgi (using the C library)
>
> 3) HTTP itself (something I expanded this last weekend and still want
> to make better)
>

> Sometimes I think I should rename it, to reflect this, but meh,
> misc-stuff-including blah blah shows how good I am at names!

It seems Rack supports additional interface next to CGI. But I think we
could take this one step further. I'm not entirely sure what APIs Rack
provides but in Rails they have a couple of method to uniform the
environment variables.

For example, ENV["REQUEST_URI"] returns differently on different
servers. Rails provides a method, "request_uri" on the request object
that will return the same value on all different servers.

I don't know if CGI already has support for something similar.

--
/Jacob Carlborg