Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

Jose Armando Garcia jsancio at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:27:08 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> On 2012-02-13 16:50, David Nadlinger wrote:
>>
>> There are several modules in the review queue right now, and to get
>> things going, I have volunteered to manage the review of Jose's std.log
>> proposal. Barring any objections, the review period starts now and ends
>> in three weeks, on March 6th, followed by a week of voting.
>>
>> ---
>> Code:
>>
>> https://github.com/jsancio/phobos/commit/d114420e0791c704f6899d81a0293cbd3cc8e6f5
>>
>> Docs: http://jsancio.github.com/phobos/phobos/std_log.html
>>
>> Known remaining issues:
>> - Proof-reading of the docs is required.
>> - Not yet fully tested on Windows.
>>
>> Depends on: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/141
>> (will be part of 2.058)
>> ---
>>
>> Earlier drafts of this library were discussed last year, just search the
>> NG and ML archives for "std.log".
>>
>> I think getting this right is vitally important so that we can avoid an
>> abundance of partly incompatible logging libraries like in Java. Thus,
>> I'd warmly encourage everyone to actively try out the module or compare
>> it with any logging solution you might already be using in your project.
>>
>> Please post all feedback in this thread, and remember: Although
>> comprehensive reviews are obviously appreciated, short comments are very
>> welcome as well!
>>
>> David
>

> Is it possible to log to other locations, i.e. to the standard location for
> the given platform.

What do you mean by location? If you mean file system directory then:
@property string logDirectory(string logDirectory);
const const @property string logDirectory();
    Specifies the directory where log files are created.

    The default value for this property is the value in the
environment variable LOGDIR. If LOGDIR is not set, then TEST_TMPDIR is
used. If TEST_TMPDIR is not set, then it logs to the current
directory.

If you mean file name, you have 'fileNamePrefixes' and 'fileNameExtension'.

If you mean syslog then for now the user needs to implement this but I
foresee us implementing this in phobos in the near future.

Thanks,
-Jose