VisualD Console WIndow Disappears

Alf P. Steinbach alf.p.steinbach+usenet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:20:14 PST 2012

On 15.02.2012 08:27, RedShift wrote:
> So, I'm just starting to get into D, using the extension for VS called
> Visual D. Is there any way to stop the console from disappearing like in
> C++? Like C + F5 (which doesn't seem to work). Or like a getline?

This absolutely seems like a bug in Visual D, as does the resource
include path thing.

Apart from changing the source code, which I guess you have considered
and don't want to do, you still have these two more normal options:

   * Run the program from the Windows command line <g>, or

   * Set a breakpoint on the closing brace of `main`, and run
     the program in the debugger (e.g. keypress [F5]). When it
     hits the breakpoint at the end, use [Alt Tab] to go back
     to the program's console window.

For the first option, note that you can right click an editor tab in
Visual Studio and fire up an Explorer window for that folder.

 From the Explorer window it's then a very short journey to a command
prompt: hold down Shift and right-click the relevant folder (I guess
that would be a Debug binaries folder), and in Windwoes 7 choose "Open
command window here".

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf