Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

Jonathan Stephens slashrslashn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:49:41 PST 2012

> I think this is way too many levels. Why not just define few levels (around three) and let the user define new levels when needed.

I agree this is too many level, though I think letting the user define
their own levels is a needless complication.
>From experience, I would recommend:
 - CRIT - the application cannot continue
 - ERROR - the application cannot carry out the requested task
 - WARN - the requested task cannot be completed normally, but we can
work around it
 - INFO - FYI. Things sysadmins would like to know.
 - DEBUG - For developers debugging.
 - TRACE (maybe) - also sometimes called fine or verbose - for
developers debugging.

If an application needs separate channels of logging, I would using a
separate logger instance for different logging categories.