size_t + ptrdiff_t

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 08:23:40 PST 2012

On 19 February 2012 18:03, Vladimir Panteleev
<vladimir at thecybershadow.net>wrote:

> On Sunday, 19 February 2012 at 15:26:27 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> There is code that assumes size_t is the width of the pointer
>>

> When is this not true? I can only think of 16-bit far pointers.

Ignoring small embedded systems (for which it is almost always true), some
that immediately come to mind:

 NaCl (Google Native Client) - x64 arch, 32bit pointers ... <- of immediate
concern to me
 PPC based consoles; PS3, X360, Wii, WiiU (not released yet) - 64bit, all
32bit pointers
 Android, and probably iOS; 64bit ARM chips - will certainly not fork the
OS to use 64bit pointers

word/pointer width mismatch does happen, even if you try to argue it's
uncommon, the language MUST be able to express these architectures. It's
not an optional fix. Just need to name them properly, and correct existing
code.