size_t + ptrdiff_t

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at
Sun Feb 19 09:09:13 PST 2012

On 19/02/2012 16:07, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Vladimir Panteleev"<vladimir at>  wrote in message
> news:valucopzdhxdjymkgvuq at
>> On Sunday, 19 February 2012 at 15:26:27 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>> There is code that assumes size_t is the width of the pointer
>> When is this not true? I can only think of 16-bit far pointers.
> 8-bit embedded quite often has 16-bit pointers.

And has an 8-bit size_t?

Just found the bit I read before and was trying to find again
"Use size_t as an alias for an unsigned integral type that can span the address space.
Array indices should be of type size_t."

Of course, anything below 32-bit is irrelevant to D, but according to size_t
is defined to be the type returned by sizeof.  But where it explains sizeof it doesn't
state what type that is, and I don't know what the C or C++ standard says about it.