Why is there no or or and ?

Daren Scot Wilson darenw at darenscotwilson.com
Tue Feb 21 22:59:01 PST 2012

On Friday, 17 February 2012 at 16:43:54 UTC, F i L wrote:

> I just don't see an argument for why we *shouldn't* make
> mathematical operations in code match those we where taught as
> children as close as possible.

There is a profound difference in that math is mostly about
making a series of static statements, universal or temporary
facts of relationships between things, while programming is all
about describing operations to be performed, even if hidden by
functional or object costume.

Math may use operators and functions, and programming sometimes
assertions of relations, which makes reality not so clean cut
simple, but this is the essential difference.

It does not serve any purpose to insist on closely similar
notations.