Inheritance of purity

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:15:08 PST 2012

H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> In all seriousness, I think you're decoupling inherently
>> ingrained
>> pieces: the language and it's tools. The same way you *need*
>> syntax
>> highlighting to distinguish structure,
>
> I don't.

wait... you don't even use Syntax Highlighting? Are you insane,
you'll go blind!

>> And MS has pulled some really stupid shit in its day, but it's
>> developer tools and support do not fall under that category.
>
> True, they have their value. I don't argue with that.
>
> But why should anyone be *forced* to use them? They're just
> tools. A
> language is a language (a set of syntax and grammar rules with
> the
> associated semantics). It's not inherently tied to any tools.

The only reason Visual Studio being so closely tied to C#/VB/etc
is a bad thing is because it's closed source and ultimately
designed as [yet another] developer lock-in (just good business
right?). Beyond that it's really silly not to use VS cause of all
the productive features it provides. MonoDevelop is catching up,
but still quite a ways behind in some areas. No one is stopping
anyone from writing code in Notepad.. but then, no one is
stopping 3D artists from manually editing .obj files in Notepad
either.