Multiple return values

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:22:09 PST 2012

> > The multiple retur value problem is syntaxic sugar. It may be
> > interesting, but not #1 priority.
>
> I don't agree. In this moment of the D development it's still more
> important to design D well than to squeeze every bit of performance out of
> the reference implementation.
>
> Example: currently vector operations have some small syntax (and maybe
> semantic) problem, plus performance problems. I think fixing their syntax
> is currently more important.
>
> Fixing performance problems is possible to do later in GDC/LDC if the
> language design is good, but fixing the syntax later is quite harder to do.

I'm not clear what side of the fence you sit... I raise this issue because
I feel fixing multiple return values IS a syntactic problem. If the syntax
was good, ie. capable of expressing what you actually want from multiple
return values, but the code gen was not, I wouldn't care.. The problem is D
has no way to express this concept efficiently. That seems like an
immediate syntax problem.

It's the same with __forceinline, or __restrict... I don't really care if
they work right now, but the fact that they're missing from the language
spec is a worry, since programmers will need them.