DMD - Windows

Trass3r un at known.com
Sun Jan 8 07:06:07 PST 2012

On Sunday, 8 January 2012 at 14:39:59 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> It's still far too early to start using C++11 stuff because not
> all compilers support it. OSX still ships with g++ 4.2.
> Expecting people to install a new compiler just to compile the
> DMD code is a pointless barrier. Especially if the only reason
> for using C++11 is relatively minor syntactic changes.

Usage can be restricted to those features that are well supported.
Apple switched to Clang.

> Smart pointers (especially shared_ptr) are not free. They will
> make DMD slower, compile more slowly, and bloat the syntax (T*
> vs. std::shared_ptr<T>).
IIRC Clang uses them all over the place and they did carefully
design everything for speed and memory efficiency.

> All this stuff you have proposed requires time. Time is
> precious. What do you propose should be delayed so that this
> work could be carried out?

I didn't say it has to happen today. But it should be a goal.
Investing precious time in an old linker instead of just putting
out COFF and using existing alternative ones isn't the right path.