[OT] Anyone w/ svn->git experience and advice?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jan 13 01:04:58 PST 2012

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:jeont0$1bkp$1 at digitalmars.com...

> If --preserve-empty-dir isn't working, can't you add these directories
> after you've cloned the repository?

I suppose it might be possible since git seems to be big on allowing history
rewrites, but I know next-to-nothing about how to actually do it :/

(Doing anything fancy like that in git seems to require deep under-the-hood
knowledge of git, and I'm more interested in just using the stupid
thing...Argh...)

> BTW is a could page about git and svn:
> http://www.viget.com/extend/effectively-using-git-with-subversion/

Thanks. That's nice, but it seems to just handwave-away the matter of
missing directories. Doesn't address it.

> I managed to clone the semitwist repository using:
>
> git clone -s http://svn.dsource.org/projects/semitwist
>
> "-s" indicates a standard svn layout of the repository.

Does it still work if you give it --preserve-empty-dirs? (and yea, it seems
to work for me too as long as I omit that switch and allow it to throw away
my dirs at its discretion...)

It did occur to me though, that I have to strip out the executable files
*before* converting the repo, not after, because if I do it after that could
lead to more empty dirs which git would likely just throw away again. I did
manage to create an SVN clone of the repos on my system with those executble
files removed (thanks to svnadmin and svndumpsanitizer:
http://miria.linuxmaniac.net/svndumpsanitizer/  (svndumpfilter didn't work,
naturally) ), now just need to get git-svn to work right... :/

I discovered by accident that if I run the "git-svn clone..." command again
after it bails, it will *appear* to continue where it left off. But
unfortunately, that doesn't help because then only *some* of the empty dirs
are preserved in the resulting Git repo.