[OT] Anyone w/ svn->git experience and advice?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Jan 13 04:12:09 PST 2012

On 2012-01-13 10:04, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jacob Carlborg"<doob at me.com>  wrote in message
> news:jeont0$1bkp$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> If --preserve-empty-dir isn't working, can't you add these directories
>> after you've cloned the repository?
>>

> I suppose it might be possible since git seems to be big on allowing history
> rewrites, but I know next-to-nothing about how to actually do it :/

I see no reason to rewrite the history. Just clone the svn repository,
add the missing directories, add a .gitignore file to each of the
directories so git will keep them and then make a new commit.

> (Doing anything fancy like that in git seems to require deep under-the-hood
> knowledge of git, and I'm more interested in just using the stupid
> thing...Argh...)
>
>> BTW is a could page about git and svn:
>> http://www.viget.com/extend/effectively-using-git-with-subversion/
>>

> Thanks. That's nice, but it seems to just handwave-away the matter of
> missing directories. Doesn't address it.

Yeah, it's just a good page describing how to use git for a svn repository.

>> I managed to clone the semitwist repository using:
>>
>> git clone -s http://svn.dsource.org/projects/semitwist
>>
>> "-s" indicates a standard svn layout of the repository.
>>

> Does it still work if you give it --preserve-empty-dirs? (and yea, it seems
> to work for me too as long as I omit that switch and allow it to throw away
> my dirs at its discretion...)

It seems I don't have that option.

--
/Jacob Carlborg