Biggest Issue with D - Definition and Versioning

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Jan 16 00:00:25 PST 2012

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:23:38 -0600
Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> Again: if D is a hobby we have, all's great. Otherwise, we must show
> people that we are serious about finishing the core language
> implementation, that we make promises that we are able to keep, and
> that we make plans that we follow even in the broadest strokes. If we
> want to play with the big boys, we need to change the way we approach
> planning and organization quite drastically.

Thank you Andrei for this post...it's the essence of the problem!!

Playing with compiler & language features, running some (artificial)
benchmarks to compare with other languages etc. is nice for a hobby
project and may attract hobby programmers, but making language & 8its
ecoysstem attractive for serious projects is not so easy.

Whenever we mention D as the language for our project, we always get the
feedback it's not safe investment of our time & energy and it would be
better to use something else, either C(++), Java, Scala, Python etc.

Recently I was evaluating one CMS written in one popular Python
framework and after reporting bug which makes it unusable for even
simple page layout, hearing nothing from the developer and then seeing
it's fixed after more than two months, it was not difficult to abandon
idea to base our sites on such a product.

This is one of the comments I got in Oct '10 when asking at SO: "Based
on this i lost all hope that D has enough developers to be a save
language pick for a company doing a larger mission critical application.
You will fight with the tool chain and even pray to go back to C++
often."

I know that many things improved in D, but the question remains how much
the public opinion is channging? (I know that users still speak about
lighttpd leaking memory, and it's not easy to get rid of it.)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The working senses are superior to dull matter; mind is higher
than the senses; intelligence is still higher than the mind;