[OT] destroy all software (was Programming language WATs)

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 14:56:50 PST 2012

> On 1/21/12 3:56 PM, Chad J wrote:
>> I don't think American colleges teach Computer Science/Engineering very
>> well at all.
>
> Wonder why. USA does have the best programmers in the world though.
>
> Andrei

Sorry I have no numbers to back this up, but I conjecture that many of
them are self-taught.

Interestingly, my roommate also mentioned that a certain facet of the
American culture might help in this regard: the higher regard for
self-starting and making one's own way.  Maybe this makes life easier
for those that teach themselves their trade?  (IMO, I also suspect it's
partially responsible for the broken college funding model because it
gets distorted in a financial context and becomes "college is your own
financial decision, so you are expected to pay for it on your own".)