D for the web?

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 07:41:38 PST 2012

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Moreover, it seems that getting a new scripting language
> implemented in web browsers isn't going to be easy.  But it
> seems that language-to-JS compilers would work as long as the
> language's concepts are readily and efficiently implementable
> in JS.

Problem with efficiency is, in the best of cases, Javascript is
15-30x slower than native C code; and only after a lot of
fine-tuning and on the newest browsers. Modzilla and Google
engineers have been hacking away at performance issues for years,
but the problem is Ecmascript's spec is the real limiting factor.
The spec does update, but when major browsers vendors like
Microsoft simply ignore implantation proposals (like SVG) and
fight against spec improvements (like Ecmascript 4.0) new
features can hardly be used at large, considering 30-40% of web
traffic is still Internet Explorer.

This is why I mentioned Google's Native Client (NaCL), which if
you don't already know, is a *plugin* for running sandboxed
native code (@ 95% efficiency) over the web with the same
security limits as Javascript. The world needs Operating Systems
that work like browsers IMO, and I think D would fit in nicely
here.