D for the web?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jan 24 14:45:56 PST 2012

"F i L" <witte2008 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:izxjcveflvwsxtukfwuu at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...

> Problem with efficiency is, in the best of cases, Javascript is 15-30x
> slower than native C code; and only after a lot of fine-tuning and on the
> newest browsers. Modzilla and Google engineers have been hacking away at
> performance issues for years, but the problem is Ecmascript's spec is the
> real limiting factor. The spec does update, but when major browsers
> vendors like Microsoft simply ignore implantation proposals (like SVG) and
> fight against spec improvements (like Ecmascript 4.0) new features can
> hardly be used at large, considering 30-40% of web traffic is still
> Internet Explorer.

Solution: Create an IE-compatible JS module that will translate the newer
spec into IE-style. Yes, it'll be much slower, but that would just give MS
that much more reason to get off their asses and fix things.

Although sometimes I almost want to root for MS though: MS's box model and
JS mouse API both prove just how far the W3C has it's head up its ass. I
can't help wondering if Google has been pushing for subpar shit just because
the better alternative was MS's idea.