D for the web?

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:51:15 PST 2012

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Solution: Create an IE-compatible JS module that will translate
> the newer spec into IE-style. Yes, it'll be much slower, but
> that would just give MS that much more reason to get off their
> asses and fix things.

See Google's Dart language. ATM it's just a client-side
Javascript compiler + server-side VM, but Google has talked about
a native client side VM in Chrome.

> Although sometimes I almost want to root for MS though: MS's
> box model and JS mouse API both prove just how far the W3C has
> it's head up its ass. I can't help wondering if Google has been
> pushing for subpar shit just because the better alternative was
> MS's idea.

ALL of MS's inovations haven't been bad of course, take CSS
expressions for example. But their cons far outweigh their pros,
IMO. IE8, the best IE on XP (which is still the dominate web
browser/OS), can't properly render semi-transparent PNGs with
alpha channels.... It's impossible to do any kind of visual
effects with that limitation and you're left with browser
conditioning hacks which eat up needless time to write and test.
Recently they've decided to play ball a bit more (cause they have
to) but they will never support WebGL which is one of HTML5's
best features. In fact, their whole DirectX strategy is just a
developer lock-in.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of W3C either, most surrounding
their pace.. but they at least share their inovations with each
other...