[OT] "The Condescending UI" (was: Do we need Win95/98/Me support?)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jan 24 15:15:17 PST 2012

"foobar" <foo at bar.com> wrote in message
news:teutlxbmxkyzvyrqgyiy at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...

> There is this phenomena in the US where some people feel that they have
> the right to be ignorant but they ought to realize that this isn't a core
> human right and it slowly degrades society in such a way that they lose
> all other rights and freedoms. People should educate themselves and be
> responsible for their votes and actually do vote. In my country (Israel)
> an elections with ~67% of people voting was the lowest percentage ever and
> usually it's closer to 80%. in the USA it's closer to 50%. That isn't even
> a majority of the population!

I agree that if someobody's *going* to vote, they have a moral
responsibility to be informed about what it is they're voting on (and the
biased handwavy-propaganda-with-no-real-information we get bombarded with
from each side doesn't count). And it's *absolutely* best to be informed and
then vote.

But real legitimate information (as opposed to non-informational emotional,
and frankly patronizing, propaganda: And I mean propaganda quite literally)
is surprisingly difficult to find in this supposedly free country.  The real
information is essentially hidden by those who prefer us to vote
emotionally - that way we're more easily swayed. And the US is such a
goddamn rat race, many people just simply can't afford the time to dig
through the mountains of bullshit: they're too busy trying to keep the bills
paid.

And if for that reason, or any other legitimate *or* illigitimate reason,
when somebody *isn't* informed, it's downright socially irresponsible for
them to vote (but many do anyway, and that's part of why american elections
have degenerated into little more than popularity contests).

> The current situation is directly connected to the ignorance and lack of
> caring by the people. After all, a democratic government comes from the
> people and represents the people. Clearly, the citizens of the USA didn't
> care enough.

It's not so much apathy. Mostly, we've just lost faith in politicians (and
not without reason). Besides, to borrow from South Park, we're usually faced
with a choice between a giant doucebag and a shit sandwich: We all lose no
matter how the vote turns out. At the very least, that 50% turnout is a big
vote for "We need a candidate who doesn't have their head up their ass."