[OT] "The Condescending UI" (was: Do we need Win95/98/Me support?)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 13:48:26 PST 2012

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:31:14 -0500, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:op.v8nbixzyeav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
>>
>> I must rave about the trackpad on the macbook pro.  The interface is so
>> damned good, I hate going back to my linux laptop (which I must do for
>> work).
>>

> A good trackpad?!? That seems difficult to believe. Whenever I use a
> laptop,
> I just grab/carry-around a trackball (or at least a mouse). I can barely
> use
> those touchpad things, and IBM's "clitmouse" is only a little bit better.

It's freaking cool.  The best part is the scrolling.  On my dell laptop, I
have to use the right side of the touchpad to scroll.  With the track pad,
I just use 2 fingers, and it scrolls, no matter where I am on the pad.

Click with 2-fingers, and it's a right-click.

There are a bunch of multi touch gestures.  Like 5-finger pinch brings up
the app launcher (kind of like iPad home screen), 5-finger "explode" shows
desktop, 4 finger swipe up brings up the window chooser (kind of like
alt-tab).

It's completely accurate, I haven't yet had it misinterpret how many
fingers I'm using.  I find that kind of amazing given how shitty touch
screens used to be.

It is a little unnerving at first, I was thinking "where the fuck are the
buttons?!"

The only complaint I have is that at the top of the pad, it's very hard to
click.

-Steve