Windows API and druntime/Phobos

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri Jan 27 12:40:15 PST 2012

On Friday, 27 January 2012 at 18:36:28 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> The only other thing to be aware of is that each module linked
> into an executable incurs some overhead (500 bytes minimum, if
> I remember correctly), so moving to these new Win32 headers
> will increase the footprint of D apps on Windows.  I imagine
> it's a worthwhile tradeoff, but I did want to bring this up so
> no one is surprised later.

Would it be possible to fix this overhead in the compiler
(avoiding generation of such overhead for modules without
classes, static ctors/dtors, etc.)?

Even though Windows API programs classically begin with #include
<windows.h>, which includes most of the other headers, this isn't
a requirement, and it's possible to import modules on a
finer-grained basis.