Let's stop parser Hell

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jul 5 11:22:35 PDT 2012

On 7/5/12 12:39 PM, Roman D. Boiko wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 July 2012 at 16:28:57 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> It's all too common for someone to suggest that we should
>> do something or implement something without ever attempting to do it
>> themselves, and in general, stuff around here gets done because
>> someone really wants it done, takes the time to do it, and sees it
>> through until its done and in Phobos.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Resume: everybody is welcome to join effort of translating DMD front
> end, and improving Pegged.
>

> Also I would like to invite those interested in DCT project to help me
> with it. Right now I'm trying to understand whether it is possible to
> incorporate Pegged inside without losing anything critical (and I think
> it is very likely possible), and how exactly to do that.
>
> Dmitry proposed to help improve Pegged (or some other compiler's) speed.
>
> Anyone else?

I'd really want to create a task force on this, it is of strategic
importance to D. In Walter's own words, no new feature is going to push
us forward since we're not really using the great goodies we've got, and
CTFE technology is the most important.

I also am actively opposed to a project of just translating D's
front-end to D and dropping it into Phobos because it would smother (a)
work on generic parser generators, and (b) strong, dependable
formalization of D's syntax.

Andrei