LLVM IR influence on compiler debugging

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Sat Jul 7 11:59:23 PDT 2012

On 07-07-2012 20:48, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/7/2012 8:38 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> On a high-end 4-core x86, building LLVM and LDC can usually be
>> done in less than an hour, even when building them in optimized mode.
>
> Building dmd on my Windows box takes 26 seconds, optimized, using a
> single core.

Right, it's even faster for me on Linux. Keep in mind, though, that LLVM
is usually a "build once, then link to/use" thing. Building LDC itself
is just building DMD + the glue layer (excluding druntime and phobos),
which is relatively fast.

By the way, is it planned that DMD will be able to use Microsoft's
linker when compiling with COFF? Or is it too early to say at this
point? (It would simplify a lot of things; particularly, integration
with MSVC projects. Further, Optlink's command line is really unfriendly
and hard to integrate in most build systems.)

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org
http://lycus.org