D front-end in D for D

Gor Gyolchanyan gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 07:44:43 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Alex Rønne Petersen <alex at lycus.org> wrote:

> On 14-07-2012 12:48, Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
>
>> I just got an amazing thought. If we end up getting a D front-end in D,
>> I think it would be possible to make the back-end in the same space as
>> the code being compiled. This means, having the back-end as a library
>> solution. This would automatically provide 100% compile-time code
>> introspection. This is just a thought. Not a proposal or anything. What
>> do you guys think?
>>
>> --
>> Bye,
>> Gor Gyolchanyan.
>>

> I can't tell if you're advocating writing a back end in D as well. If you
> are, I am strongly against this. There's a reason it has taken 10 years for
> LLVM to get where it is, and it's still far from complete. We have better
> things to do with development of D than reinventing the wheel.
>
> --
> Alex Rønne Petersen
> alex at lycus.org
> http://lycus.org

I didn't expect D to have it. D follows tons of anti-patterns, that other
languages have followed. It's yet another language with yet another set of
insignificant changes. It IS the best one of all, but it's not even close
to being at least minimally useful for a really big task.

For instance, everybody seems to love hard-wiring the syntax into the
language.

--
Bye,
Gor Gyolchanyan.