D versionning

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jul 15 17:20:33 PDT 2012

On Monday, July 16, 2012 02:07:13 deadalnix wrote:
> On 16/07/2012 01:42, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 15, 2012 16:26:50 Walter Bright wrote:
> >> Sigh. Half say we release too often, the other half not often enough.
> >
> > Which is actually one argument for going to a model where you have
> > frequent
> > minor releases which only contain bug fixes and less frequent major
> > releases with the larger changes. You can never make everyone happy, but
> > by doing so, you get the bug fixes faster for the folks complaining about
> > the lack of frequent releases, and you get increased stability as far as
> > the new stuff goes, because it doesn't come with every release.
> >
> > I'm only against the proposed versioning scheme because I think that we
> > need to stabilize things better (e.g. actually have all of the features
> > that TDPL lists fully implemented) before we move to it. But I fully
> > support moving to this sort of scheme in the long run. It manages change
> > much better, and I think that many, many existing projects have shown
> > that it promotes stable code bases while still allowing for them to
> > evolve as necessary.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> The proposed scheme is only a proposed scheme. Other solutions exist
> that solve the problem, and if they better fit, why not ?

If someone has a better proposal, they should make it (though probably in a
separate thread - this one's long enough as it is). I think that the basics of
this proposal are good, and a lot of projects work that way. I just think that
D needs to be more stable before we worry about having major and minor
releases or stable and unstable branches.

- Jonathan M Davis