D versionning

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jul 15 17:36:28 PDT 2012

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 17:23:44 Adam Wilson wrote:
> I guess I just see it as differing definitions of "stable". For example,
> dsimcha was here not twenty hours ago praising D for how stable it's
> become.
>
> I think this is a pretty good summation of stable in the community project
> context:
> http://www.modernperlbooks.com/mt/2009/06/what-does-stable-mean.html
>
> Note: We meet all criteria for stable.

What I want to see is dmd having fully implemented all of the features in TDPL
(e.g. multiple alias thises) and sorted out all of the major design or
implementation issues (e.g. the issues with const and Object). After that, D2
has been fully implemented, and we can look at adding new features if we want
to and restricting those as well as any breaking changes that we need to make
to a different branch which only gets merged into the main branch in certain
releases.

Arguably, we've been adding too many new features (e.g. new lambda syntax and
SIMD support), given that we're supposed to be making everything that we
already  have work properly, but those features haven't been breaking changes,
and presumably forcing Walter to just fix bugs wouldn't be all that pleasant
for him. But until we've fully implemented what we have, I think that it's
just going to slow us down to little benefit to change the release model. Once
we have, _then_ I'd love to see a release model which promotes major vs minor
releases and the like, because then we can evolve the language and library as
appropriate while still maintaining stable releases which programmers can rely
on for long periods of time without worrying about breaking changes and
whatnot.

- Jonathan M Davis