Study: build times for D programs

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jul 24 08:06:58 PDT 2012

On 7/24/12 10:54 AM, Roman D. Boiko wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 July 2012 at 14:34:58 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> the D source is in D1 and should be adjusted to compile with D2),
>
> That would provide performance (compilation and run-time) for D1 only
> (with D2 compiler). Performance of a typical D2 app would likely be
> different.

Ehm. There's any number of arguments that can be made to question the
validity of the study:

* the coding style does not use the entire language in either or both
implementations

* the application domain favors one language or the other

* the application's use of libraries is too low/too high

* the translation is too literal

* the translation changes the size of the code (which is the case here,
as the D version is actually shorter)

Nevertheless, I think there is value in the study. We're looking at a
real nontrivial application that wasn't written for a study, but for
actual use, and that implements the same design and same functionality
in both languages.

Andrei