Impressed

Stuart stugol at gmx.com
Fri Jul 27 12:17:10 PDT 2012

On Friday, 27 July 2012 at 19:12:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> I'm pretty sure Yield has a performance hit as well, 'cos it
> amounts to an implicit context-switch between two fibers.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, Yield has bugger-all to do with
fibers. I say again: I'm not talking about threading. There is
more than one meaning of the word "yield". Go look it up. I
provided a link in a previous post.

> Of course, from what I understand, C# runs on a VM, correct? If
> so, this performance hit is probably hidden in the VM overhead,
> since the VM is already keeping track of states anyway, so the
> cost of tracking multiple states is absorbed into the VM's
> overall
> overhead. So you probably won't _notice_ the cost, but it's
> definitely
> there.

I'm fairly sure D could implement the Iterator and Yield keywords
from VB.NET without all this "overhead" to which you refer. As I
said, go look it up.