enhancing forum features: 1click upvote, sorting, 1click duplicate etc (eg: userecho use case)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jul 27 22:53:37 PDT 2012

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 07:31:49 timotheecour wrote:
> I was wondering whether there would be any interest in migrating
> towards something more feature rich than the current dlang forum,
> possibly userecho, or at least enhancing a bit the features of
> the current forum.

Is it built on top of NNTP? If not, then it's a no-go right off the bat.
forum.dlang.org isn't really a forum in the normal sense. It's merely a web
interface for a newsgroup, and many of us access it either through newsreaders
or as a mailing list and never use the web interface at all.

Also, it's a big deal for us that forum.dlang.org is written in D. It's
actually attracted a fair bit of attention for D as well -  due primarily to
its speed.

Maybe some other features can and should be added to it, but we're going to
want to continue to use a web interface written in D. It would just plain look
bad to switch to something else now, especially when what we have has been
getting such positive attention.

Also, I'm not sure that there's much point in adding much in the way of
features that would have no effect on anyone accessing the newsgroup through a
newsreader or the mailing list. For instance, voting of any kind would only
happen from those using the web interface, so that would skew things
considerably and might make them useless, depending on what they're used for.

Any features suggested for forum.dlang.org should take into account the fact
that it's only an interface for a set of NNTP newsgroups, and that only a
portion of the posters use that interface.

> integrated bug report, feature request etc (dlang has 2 separate
> websites for bugs (http://d.puremagic.com/issues) and other posts
> (http://forum.dlang.org/)

There's only one place for bug reports: http://d.puremagic.com/issues

Bugs merely reported in the forum are likely to be ignored. It's not the place
for reporting bugs.

- Jonathan M Davis