GitHub for Windows

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Jun 2 13:30:07 PDT 2012

"Roman Ivanov" <isroman.DEL at ETE.km.ru> wrote in message
news:jqbnii$pgs$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 5/24/2012 4:45 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Mirko Pilger" <pilger at cymotec.de> wrote in message
>> news:jpl36q$sta$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> just turn aero off. the win 7 desktop then looks and behaves very
>>> similar
>>> to xp.
>>
>> No it doesn't. The "skin" is like XP, but all the behavior is still the
>> same
>> Win7 stuff. It's still Windows Dock, just with more grey and straight
>> edges.
>
> FYI: You can set it up so it works exactly like XP. You can disable
> docking/pinning and instance combination, and then create a panel with
> buttons to simulate "quick launch". I've done that at work, never looked
> back.
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/make-the-windows-7-taskbar-work-more-like-windows-xp-or-vista/

Yes, that one I knew about. It's an improvements, but it's not enough. And
it behaves weird when the taskbar is more than one row tall.

> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/add-the-quick-launch-bar-to-the-taskbar-in-windows-7/

That one I didn't know about (thanks!), but my god that's *obscure*. At
least it's possible though. Hopefully they haven't screwed it up since the
Win7 beta.

> I still prefer XP, though.

Yea, although I've mainly just been mentining issues here with the taskbar
and "All Programs", there's other stuff too. For example, almost all the
changes to Explorer. And I don't trust the driver model, what with the DRM
shit and potential driver revocation.

Some stuff can apperently be fixed with the 3rd party program Classic Shell
(although I haven't actually tried it). But there's a lot that even that
can't fix, and even if it did, there's just sooo much hacking required to
make Win7 not irritating, that - why bother (and pay $$$) when I can just
stick to XP instead?

Of course, XP takes some configuring too (which I've already done though),
but then Win7 adds that much more, and at some point I just gotta say
"Enough is enough, fuck this shit".

> It seems faster, it takes less space, and
> despite all MS claims, I had less virus problems with it than with
> Windows 7.

Ouch. I haven't had virus problems on my XP system (knock on wood...), but
my sister's had a lot of virus trouble on her Win7 machine (and guess who
had to fix the fucking thing every time...) Of course, my dad had a lot of
virus trouble on his old XP machne (and again, guess who got to fix the
goddamn thing), but then again, he's an idiot and does all sorts of stupid
shit like click on ads, and give the advertiser pages his phone number when
they ask for it, and doing all that *despite* noticing that it all seemed
fishy, and god knows what else that he *hasn't* told me about. Colossal
fucking moron.