C++Now! 2012 slides

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jun 7 15:08:09 PDT 2012

On 6/7/12 3:04 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 06/07/2012 08:34 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
>>
>> I find this very ugly. To be honest, I would be much happier without all
>> that mostNegative and common type stuff.
>> If I want to get the min
>> between a short and an int I'll just cast them appropriately.
>
> The mostNegative and common type stuff is there to enable correct
> semantics for taking the minimum of signed and unsigned values. Minimum
> of short and int would work fine without that.
>
>> I'd much rather have a simpler standard library than a complicated one
>> for the
>> sake of a little convenience.
>>

> 'min' is not complicated.

I agree. BTW Howard Hinnant's proposal N2199
(http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2199.html)
introduces correct C++ min/max functions that take 175 lines and
introduce 10 types and 12 specializations. (Proposal was rejected.) The
power of min/max is about on a par with D's.

Andrei