GDC review process.

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Jun 20 06:01:44 PDT 2012

On 19/06/12 19:19, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Had round one of the code review process, so I'm going to post the main issues
> here that most affect D users / the platforms they want to run on / the compiler
> version they want to use.

A somewhat different take on these issues -- we've several times now had
discussions over the backend of DMD, and the whole "reference implementation not
entirely free/open source" issue.  One of the points made in those discussions
is that the issue is somewhat moot given that the real "reference
implementation" is the frontend, and this already has at least 2 free backends
(GCC and LLVM).

However, that point stops being moot the moment there are compiler-specific
constraints that mean that code that will compile with DMD won't compile with
GDC, or vice-versa.  If I can't use inline asm with GDC, or I have to go about
it in a different way to DMD, then we can hardly say that GDC reflects the
reference implementation.

It seems to me that guaranteeing equal capabilities between DMD and GDC should
be a "red line" in determining what changes or deletions are acceptable or not.