Is this statement in http://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html still true?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 22:14:14 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 26 June 2012 at 03:44:17 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 June 2012 at 03:02:45 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> Linux places string literals in Read-Only Memory, Windows does
>> not. This is OS specific behavior and does not relate to the
>> language in the least.
>
> Isn't it compiler-specific behavior?
> Visual C++ does this on Windows.
> After all, it's up to the compiler to place it in a read-only
> segment rather than a writable segment.

I suppose this is the case, I was thinking the string literals
were loaded as the program itself is loaded, and this was in a
location not read-only. Guess I've made some poor
associations/assumptions.

Aside from that I still think the original issue with the
statement is not and has not been valid. But if they can be RO in
Windows it would seem a useless addition to specify Linux.