Review of Jose Armando Garcia Sancio's std.log

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 04:01:17 PST 2012

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:32:37 -0500, Jose Armando Garcia
<jsancio at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Steven Schveighoffer
> <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Except 'info', 'error', 'warning' are all common names, likely to be a
>> very
>> attractive name for something that has nothing to do with (or cares
>> about)
>> logging.  cout is not a common name or even an english word, so it's
>> unlikely someone has or wants to create a cout member.
>>
> Actually, I see this more as argument as to why cout is a horrible
> name for a symbol in std.stdio. I suspect that the only reason that it
> is there is to keep C developer migrating to D happy. It should
> probably just be "out" like Java (System.out) and C# (Console.Out).

Like Robert says, cout is not in std.stdio. (maybe you were thinking of
stdout?)

And right in your counter-argument, you specify how Java and C# use
namespaces to clarify common words (*System*.out and *Console*.Out).

These only work because they must be identified by the fully qualified
name.

-Steve