Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Mar 8 20:54:13 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:07:04PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]
> Heh one of us should hack up DMD to produce a NihonD, using (or at
> least allowing) kanji instead of the kanas wherever appropriate :)
> That'd be both fun to make and to use.
[...]

On another note, I've always dreamt about a language where keywords are
i18n'd. Every keyword has an equivalent in every language (well, up to
the languages currently supported, of course), and can be used
interchangeably.

Support for Arabic and Hebrew would be tricky because of the
right-to-left thing, but cool if it can be pulled off. Even cooler would
be to support top-to-bottom, right-to-left for traditional Chinese
writing. Don't know how it would interoperate with code written in
English, though. :-P (Though it would mainly be a display issue, since
at the Unicode level everything is just an unambiguous sequence of
characters.)

They say that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Well I think
the gun helps. If you just stood there and yelled BANG, I don't think
you'd kill too many people. -- Eddie Izzard, Dressed to Kill