Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Mar 9 16:48:49 PST 2012

On 03/10/2012 01:22 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 March 2012 at 00:16:14 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> UFCS will give people more freedom and may help templates in
>> some cases, […]
>
> Note aside: I think people tend to overestimate the amount of generic
> code that becomes easier to write

If you're writing it yourself there are no restrictions on what symbols
can be made visible.

/extend

This OTOH is a valid point.

> with UFCS, as D, in contrast to
> C++, doesn't have ADL.

This is a good thing. D symbol lookup is already the most complicated
I've seen (for the compiler). DMD does not get it right. It is possible
to write programs whose semantics depend on the order the modules are
passed on the command line.