Breaking backwards compatiblity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Mar 10 09:53:11 PST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 06:41:24PM +0100, so wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 March 2012 at 15:27:00 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >>
> >>It's a hardware interrupt. They all work that way. You have
> >>to give a lot of care to handling them very quickly and
> >>not letting them stack up (lest the whole system freeze).
> >
> >Sure, but I've never seen a problem with that.
>
> Neither the OS developers, especially when they are on 999kTB ram
> and 1billion core processors.
[...]

Um... before my recent upgrade (about a year ago), I had been using a
500MB (or was it 100MB?) RAM machine running a 10-year-old processor.
And before *that*, it was a 64MB (or 32MB?) machine running a
15-year-old processor...

Then again, I never believed in the desktop metaphor, and have never
seriously used Gnome or KDE or any of that fluffy stuff. I was on VTWM
until I decided ratpoison (a mouseless WM) better suited the way I
worked.

Who told you to swim in Crocodile Lake without life insurance??