Breaking backwards compatiblity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Mar 10 16:05:01 PST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 05:16:15PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
> news:mailman.439.1331415624.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
[...]
> > Sad to say, recent versions of Opera (and Firefox) have become
> > massive memory and disk hogs. I still mainly use Opera because I
> > like the interface better,
>
> I couldn't beleive that Opera actually *removed* the native "skin"
> (even what joke it was in the first place) in the latest versions.
> That's why my Opera installation is staying put at v10.62.

While I noticed that Opera's UI seems to be undergoing all sorts of
overhauls recently, I didn't bother to find out what changed/didn't
change. My custom setup disables most of the toolbars anyway, so I don't
really notice. :-)

> Which reminds me, I still need to figure out what domain it contacts
> to check whether or not to incessently nag me about *cough*
> "upgrading" *cough*, so I can ban the damn thing via my hosts file.

Umm... you *could* just point Opera at opera:config, then search for
"Disable Opera Package AutoUpdate", y'know...

> > And people keep talking about web apps and the browser as a
> > "platform".  Sigh.
>
> Yea. There's even an entire company dedicated to pushing that moronic
> agenda (*and* tracking you like Big Brother). They're called
> "Microsoft Mark 2"...erm...wait...I mean "Google".

lol...

[...]
> > We get a kickback from our hardware manufacturers and we sell more
> > software without actually adding any new features! It's a win-win
> > situation!"
> >

> That's one of the reasons I despise the modern-day Epic and Valve:
> *Complete* graphics whores (not to mention Microsoft sluts,
> particularly in Epic's case), and I don't believe for a second that
> what you've described isn't the exact nature of...what does Epic call
> it? Some sort of "Alliance" with NVIDIA and ATI that Epic was so
> *publically* proud of. Fuck Cliffy, Sweeny, "Fat Fuck" Newell, et al.
> Shit, and Epic actually used to be pretty good back in their
> "Megagames" days.
[...]

I root for indie games. That's where the real creativity's at.
Creativity has died in big-budget games years ago.

> > Or solving the travelling salesman problem.
>
> That's aready been solved. Haven't you heard of eCommerce? j/k ;)
[...]

lol!

Public parking: euphemism for paid parking. -- Flora