How about colors and terminal graphics in std.format?

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 19:16:06 PDT 2012

I remember doing colored terminal output in Python.  It was pretty
nifty, and allows for some slick CLI design.  I think D can do better by
putting it in the standard library.

I was thinking something along the lines of this:
http://www.chadjoan.com/d/dmd.2.058/html/d/phobos/std_format.html

I figure it would probably be easy to get some of the basics down.  More
advanced stuff would probably involve messing with terminfo or <term.h>.
  Windows' (terribly bad) command prompt can have some of these
capabilities implemented too, but in a roundabout way because Windows
defines API functions that need to be called to affect terminal graphics
and coloring.  I figure that would require the help of the I/O routines
if I were to work on that.

If there's interest, I might take a stab at it.

So, would this sort of thing make it in?

Oh, on an unrelated note, Phobos' documentation make target is quite broken:
blahblah/dmd.git/src/phobos $ make -fposix.mak html
make: *** No rule to make target `../web/phobos-prerelease/index.html',
needed by `html'.  Stop.

I examined the makefile and concocted this line of bash that constructs
my desired html file:
dmd -m32 -d -c -o- -version=StdDdoc -I../druntime/import std/format.d
std.ddoc -Dfstd_format.html
and copied std.ddoc from a release version of dmd (it's in src/phobos).