Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 17:50:38 PDT 2012

> In the case of my web apps, they do *not* pull JS from other
> sites.  I understand and sympathize with your rationale.  It's
> just not enough, however, to make web developers who want their
> site to appear a certain way care about the market share that
> your opinion represents.  I'm perfectly willing to lose 1-2% of
> users in order to *not* test browsers in all kinds of weird
> configurations.  It's the same reason most web sites test only
> with the major browsers.

  I'm reminded of a mathematical answer involving large numbers
and theory. No I never took college level math, but I've heard
this from somewhere: 'If you take infinity, Divide it by
Infinity, you will still have a remainder of infinity'.

  1-2% seems small, yet large at the same time. It's not 'the
majority' but then again 'the majority' are idiots (Example: IE
with it's VBScript, and outlook express bypassing almost all
security measures at the time).

  Let's assume you make a site for power users, those who want to
buy computer parts and books and related stuff like that. Now if
you require JS to have it run, and all the power users refuse to
use JS, you've just killed all your customers. a 6 Million
customers with orders which could get hundreds of millions of
dollars, lost because a non-JS wasn't offered. Don't know about
you, but 6 millions people could make or break your business
(Just my opinion).

  Although unlikely, what if a number of those millions don't have
a high speed internet connection, perhaps borrowing a connection
from a neighbor or allotted a slow amount. Do you really want to
wait 2-3 minutes for a Page to load when 10-15 seconds in that
case would do for raw text (and optional pictures)?

  Personally, I've used Lynx in the past. Yes it's outdated, yes
it is non-graphical, yes on many things. But it's fast, small,
has a tiny footprint, and is great for quite a bit of stuff. As
memory serves me, it was one of the best browsers I ever used.

> This situation (where payphones were obsolete) existed long
> before the smartphone craze.

  Perhaps... I may be giving up my cell phone and having no phone
connection. I'd buy a phone card soon, guess what I'd be using if
I do need to make a phone call? :P Cell phones and TV are being
pushed too hard, for less benefit unless you need to use them a
lot.