Dynamic language

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Mar 15 02:46:17 PDT 2012

I have for three years worked in a web platform somehow similar to Ruby on
Rails, but TCL based, actually it was a kind of AOL Server clone.

The main benefit dynamic languages bring to the table is not requiring to
write types everywhere, duck typing, and the flexibility metaprogramming
has.

For example in our server, the ORM was able to do translations on the fly
from
SQL 92' to the DB specific SQL, and also map classes and properties to
tables
and columns on the fly. So adding new DB backends was quite easy.

Now that mainstream strong typing static languages are getting type
inference,
a solution similar to std.variant or .NET dynamic, might just be the sweet
spot
of both worlds. As you are stating.

--
Paulo

"F i L"  wrote in message news:hakctekpvjnkyjhxacoo at forum.dlang.org...

On Thursday, 15 March 2012 at 07:09:39 UTC, so wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Not related to D but this is a community which i can find at least a few
> objective person. I want to invest some "quality" time on a dynamic
> language but i am not sure which one. Would you please suggest one?
>
> To give you an idea what i am after:
> Of all one-liners i have heard only one gets me.
> "The programmable programming language". Is it true? If so Lisp will be my
> first choice.
>
> Thanks.

Not really a help to you, but I honestly have no idea why people
*want* to use dynamic programming languages. There is very little
benefit I see in having your core object structure be complete
dynamic. I remember watching this Google tech talk awhile ago,
about V8 and improving Javascript performance. At one point, the
speaker talks about how cool Dynamic objects *can* be, but then
goes on later to say that 90% of code isn't structured that way
(and thus justifying V8's JITed hidden classes).

I think a language should be static first and dynamic second. C#
does this nicely (anonymous and dynamic types, Link, etc) and I
think D is at least partially there (in regards to dynamic
objects) with std.variant + associative arrays.