Dynamic language

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 01:58:55 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 15 March 2012 at 07:09:39 UTC, so wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Not related to D but this is a community which i can find at
> least a few objective person. I want to invest some "quality"
> time on a dynamic language but i am not sure which one. Would
> you please suggest one?
>
> To give you an idea what i am after:
> Of all one-liners i have heard only one gets me.
> "The programmable programming language". Is it true? If so Lisp
> will be my first choice.
>
> Thanks.

Not really a help to you, but I honestly have no idea why people
*want* to use dynamic programming languages. There is very little
benefit I see in having your core object structure be complete
dynamic. I remember watching this Google tech talk awhile ago,
about V8 and improving Javascript performance. At one point, the
speaker talks about how cool Dynamic objects *can* be, but then
goes on later to say that 90% of code isn't structured that way
(and thus justifying V8's JITed hidden classes).

I think a language should be static first and dynamic second. C#
does this nicely (anonymous and dynamic types, Link, etc) and I
think D is at least partially there (in regards to dynamic
objects) with std.variant + associative arrays.