Dynamic language

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Mar 15 15:15:39 PDT 2012

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.713.1331843912.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:13:42PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
>> news:mailman.709.1331842273.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>> > [...]
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > It certainly is, though it does bring up the problem of what to do
>> > if the game scripting is editable at runtime. Does that mean we'll
>> > need to bundle a D compiler with the game? Doesn't seem practical.
>> >

>> Why not?
> [...]
>
> So your game will have to ship with dmd and optlink bundled?

As long as it's a platform on which dmd runs, and you have permission from
Walter, I don't see the problem with that. Sure, it'd be another thing to
deal with in the installation/packaging scripts, but it shouldn't be too
bad.

Plus, people have already done the same sort of thing with Python/Ruby (not
sure about games, but other apps). Yea, scripting in Python/Ruby is probably
super-easy if your app is already written in Python/Ruby, but when isn't
then you're really just doing the same thing as you would to do your
scripting in D.

'Course, if you *like* dynamic interpreted languages, then yea, just simply
using Lua would be easier. Point is though, I don't think I'd say it's
impractical with D. At least for desktop/laptop games anyway (platforms dmd
doesn't run *on* could still use D for scripting, but just not edited
in-game - could still reload in-game if the platform has dynamic lib
support, but it'd be compiled off-line...possibly even by the game sending
the code to a compile server).

And all that would only matter for user-generated content. Any built-in
scripts would naturally just already come pre-built. Hell, they could even
come statically-linked if you wanted - develop them using the dynamic
editing tools, and then statically link when you're ready to ship.

Speaking of such things, I wonder how hard it would be to port dmd to run on
another platform? Targeting that platform might be a lot of work, but just
making it run on it...it *is* written in C++, probably the second-most
common language in the world (just behind straight C), and it's not like it
does a bunch direct hardware I/O access, or GUI, or anything like that. So
I'd imagine mostly just some occasional OS calls and assembly. Don't know
how much of that there is in there.

> --
> "The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90
> degrees and try again."

I love this one :)